Well. I think I have had at least 4 different blogs over the
past few years. I cannot ever seem to keep up with them.. BUT. I am turning
over a new leaf and making all sorts of life changes this summer.
I am currently up at BYU Idaho for the seven week summer
break. I decided that since I am only taking two classes and have very few
friends up here, that I should make good use of my time by making and keeping
some goals. I decided that I am cutting out all caffeine, energy drinks, and
soda from my life. I am also committed to getting into shape again. I am
training to run a 5k in under 30 minutes (which I know is totally possible, but
i HATE running. So it's a big deal for me). I have become so out of shape and
bleh since I was home in the winter. I was literally sick and bed-ridden for
four months straight. You would think that it would cause someone to lose
weight, right? Wrong. Muscle goes away and all that chocolate pudding catches
up to you fast.
My goals are mostly about fitness/wellness because I feel
like getting back into shape will positively influence all other aspects of my
life.
This past spring semester I struggled with anxiety and
depression like no one's business. I had a severe panic attack while watching
the NBA finals right around midterms, and literally thought I was dying. The
whole left side of my body tensed up and I got light-headed, shaky, and confused.
My heart was beating irregularly and I was just overcome with this sense of
something was really really wrong. My roommate Christa took me to the hospital
and they gave me some good drugs. It was after this experience that I realized
that I had been living with anxiety for basically my whole life, but it had
never gotten quite that bad. I was a mess for a week after that. I could not do
ANYTHING without having a panic attack. . I finally decided that I did not have
time to let this control my life, so I went to counseling. That next week I absolutely lost it. I could
not get myself to get out of bed in the morning. I had no desire to do
anything. I stopped making an effort with my friends, stopped going to church
and FHE, stopped going to class. I just sat and cried all day. I realized that
maybe I had been dealing with some depression issues for a while too and I told
my counselor. He gave me a prescription for Paxil.
It has been an extremely hard semester. My grades suffered. I
felt alone in a crowded room with some of my closest friends. The worst night
was the night before the Fourth of July. I got so fed up with the suicidal
thoughts and negative feelings and how everyone was just telling me to
"just be happy!" Seriously. If I could just be happy, I think I would
have done that. It was probably 2am and I was just laying in bed sobbing, so I
decided to drive up to the Rexburg Temple. On the way there I was just hoping
and praying that someone would just hit me. When I got to the temple, I felt so
guilty for the negative thoughts in my head that I felt even worse. I finally
called my friend Marissa and just sat in her living room in the dark and just
cried and spilled everything in my head. Poor girl, she just stroked my hair
and didn't know what else to do.
Since then, I've been getting better. I still have days that
just entirely suck. I still look at pictures and videos of me and long to be
that happy and free-spirited again, but I know that this experience will make
me stronger.I needed to get my own emotional baggage sorted out. I needed to
figure out who I was and why I am the way I am. I got a new psychologist and he
is really helping me to come out from behind the walls I've built around the
real me. My self-confidence is slowly returning. I know that I have unlimited
potential and that my Heavenly Father
has a plan for me. I have faith in the Atonement of Christ and that he
felt exactly what I am going through and that I can find strength in Him. I
believe that I'm at the point in my life that everything that happens is
preparing me for my future as a person, a wife and a mother. This experience
has taught me empathy. It has taught me to love myself. It has taught me
patience. It has taught me that I have true friends who love me for me. It has
taught me of God's love for me. It has taught me hard work and how to get out
of bed in the morning even when everything inside me screams not to.
Oh yeah! This relates to my goals because I feel like by
working out, I will feel even better. Obviously, all the endorphins will make
my brain happier, but I also think that by creating goals that I can
realistically meet and achieve will increase my self confidence. Being healthy
will make me feel better anyways, too.
Speaking of working towards these goals, I ran nine whole
miles straight today. That is nine more miles I've ran in the past
who-knows-how-long. It felt so good. Definitely worth it. Definitely a good
idea.
If there is anything that I would hope people get out of my
blog and and my experience is that there are a lot more people struggling with
things like depression and anxiety than you might think. It is kind of a taboo
subject, people don't really talk about it. It is a very personal and hard
thing to deal with, and a lot of people do not understand how challenging it
really is. As soon as I started to open up about what I was feeling and
experiencing, friends began to reach out to me and tell me they have struggled
with the same things. People I would have NEVER had guessed could be unhappy
were. There is a lot more to people than what they let everyone else see. I
wish more people could realize that. Nobody is perfect. Everyone is struggling
in this life. It is our job to help those around us. Who knows, they might even help
us without us even realizing it.
No comments:
Post a Comment